I lasted posted on November 14, 2014. Shortly after, I found out I was expecting! At 41 years old! Needless to say, the past six months have been a whirlwind of emotion. I’m not sure how often I will post, but I thought writing about getting ready for baby might motivate me to get a little more done than I would otherwise. The first order of business was to carve out a space for the new addition. We only used our “schoolroom” bonus room as a storage space. Most school happened in the dining room, the living room, or on people’s beds. We decided to move all four boys upstairs to the bonus room which gave us not only a baby’s room but an office as well!
Here’s how the little boys’ room looked last time you saw it:
We got the big boys’ room completely moved upstairs, but so far, only the little boys’ beds are up there. In fact, only ds4’s mattress is upstairs because the master plan is to get two sets of bunk beds for up there.
Since we moved the beds out, the room has been largely untouched by me. The two littles have taken it over as a play room(!). Here is how it looked a few days ago:
Yikes! Keepin’ it real, folks! This is what happens if mama doesn’t look in a room for a few days! It actually looks a lot better right now as ds10 and I cleaned up the toys and put away the clean laundry that was lying around. Here is my plan of action:
- Move all kids’ books and two small bookshelves from upstairs to the music room to make room for the little boys’ dressers.
- Get rid of the old crib. (Ds4 was very hard on it and it isn’t safe for the new baby.)
- Buy two small dressers (possibly three) for the boys.
- Move little boys’ clothes upstairs.
- Move stuffed animal net upstairs.
- Move white wall shelf and other pictures upstairs.
- Move ds10’s bookshelf upstairs.
- Remove anything else from the room that doesn’t belong.
That’s just to get the room cleared! Once that is done, I plan to:
- Shampoo the carpet
- Deodorize the carpet with a mixture of baking soda and lavender essential oil (found this idea from The Bold Abode. Can’t wait to try it! I already have my deodorizer mixed and ready to go!)
- Put together the crib.
- Arrange furniture. Currently I have a bassinet/changing table and a dresser. The crib should arrive soon. I want to re-do the changing table and the dresser but that will probably have to wait until after baby.
- Hang white sheers over the window. I want to let in plenty of light because I plan to do a good bit of photography in that room.
- Hang artwork.
- Possibly a bookshelf for a few baby toys and books?
That’s what is in my mind right now. I have slightly less than 11 weeks to go! I’ll keep you posted!