Well, my due date has come and gone. That’s not happened to me before and it’s a little bit frustrating to say the least. I had a string of contractions yesterday morning and when they failed to bring on active labor, I was a little down. I pouted about it for a while and then I decided to pull out the power tools!
I had been putting off this project mainly because there were so many details involved in pulling it off. I needed to set up the folding table, pull out the jigsaw, remember how to put the blade in the jigsaw, get a power cord, clamps, safety gear, measure and mark the board, etc., etc.
Oh. I forgot to tell you the project. The dresser I’m using as a changing table in the baby’s room has an inset area on the top that was making it impossible for the changing pad to be stable.
The changing pad was just sitting on top of the dresser and was sliding around. I knew I needed some stability. Dh went to Home Depot for me and had them cut a slab of wood to fit right in. Unfortunately, when I attached the changing pad to it, it didn’t account for room for the straps. Plus, it was cut too short on the ends. I had the extra wood from the cut so I cut my own. My first cut was just a bit too wide and it wouldn’t fit down in the inset. I cut off another 1/8th of an inch which was perfect to fit in and leave a bit of room for the straps on the sides.
The next issue was that the buckle underneath wasn’t allowing the board to lay flat. I had to think about this problem for a while because I only have a jigsaw. Originally, I thought we would whittle out enough wood for it to fit flush but that sounded like way too much work. Plus, I’ve never whittled. Next, I thought I’d cut out a little square. I went so far as to measure and haul the board back outside before I realized there was no way to cut down into the board with a jigsaw. Finally, I decided to cut from the side. It was a little tricky to get the horizontal line cut, but I managed by cutting some extra vertical lines until I cut out enough to turn the jigsaw.
Long story short — it worked! The changing pad now fits tightly on the board which fits perfectly in the inset.
While all my materials were out, I decided to cut some rectangles for a wall art project I saw on Pinterest a while back. I used the original slab of wood from the dresser that had been cut too short to make four rectangles 11″ x 7 1/4″:
There isn’t much more I can do with this project right now as the next step is to stain. Baby needs to come out before I can use oil based stain so this one is on the back burner. Here’s what I’m aiming for:
You can purchase these on Etsy for $49 but I thought it would be fun to make them. I don’t have any reclaimed wood, but I’m fine with using scraps.
One more photo just for fun in case you don’t follow me on facebook. My husband ran out and snapped a few photos of me with the jigsaw because it was just too funny to see a 40 week pregnant woman rockin’ the power tools.
Have a great day everyone. Hopefully my next post will be on the other side of this pregnancy!